Nuclear Medicine Scans

Nuclear medicine scans use small amounts of radioactive dye (tracer) to highlight areas of concern, such as cancer cells or infection. Pictures can than be taken of these areas. There are many types of nuclear medicine scans, including:

A special dye called a radioactive isotope, or tracer, is given through an IV. This tracer contains a small amount of radiation, about the same amount as an x-ray. The dye travels through the body and gathers in the area of the body being examined. When the dye has gathered in a tumor or organ, it gives off energy in the form of gamma rays. A special scanner or camera then captures images based on the gamma rays. Nuclear medicine scan pictures can detail both the function and structure of tissues and organs in the body.

The small amount of radioactive material will decay over time. It may also pass out of your child’s body through urine or stool during the first few hours or days following the test. You may be instructed to take special precautions after your child urinates, such as flushing the toilet twice and washing their hands thoroughly. Drinking plenty of water may help flush the radioactive material out of the body. Follow the instructions given to you by the nuclear medicine staff.

Nuclear medicine scans do not hurt. Allergic reactions to the tracers can occur, but they are extremely rare and are usually mild.

© The Children's Oncology Group
The information and content provided on this website is made available for informational purposes only for children and their families affected by cancer. While the Children's Oncology Group strives to provide accurate and up-to-date information, the information may be out of date or incomplete in certain respects. Please do not rely on this information and seek the care of a qualified medical professional if you have questions regarding a specific medical condition, disease, diagnosis or symptom. The information and content presented herein is not intended to replace the independent clinical judgement, medical advice, screening, health counseling, or other intervention performed by your (or your child's) health care provider. Please contact "911" or your emergency services if this is a health emergency. No endorsement of any specific tests, products, or procedures is made herein.